Monday, April 11, 2005

An Introduction


this here's a collection of recipes, inspired by my desire to empty my cupboard of random things that have been collecting dust or frost. many of the recipes will include ingredients that have just been sitting there for a long time; reminders of an old life.

a decent breadmaker can be a bachelor's best friend. it's the dead easiest way to make dough. dump the ingredients in and let it go. within 90 minutes, you can make enough pizza to feed you a week. or cater a dinner party to feed a bunch of people. flour + water + yeast = cheap. a pizza's like a sandwich; there's a lot you can throw on there. there'll probably be a few pizza recipes on here for that reason. i'll include directions for making the dough manually, but a breadmaker helps make it a no-brainer and frees up your time.

some of these things will be crap. cooking ain't a science. and a lot of these will be about making do what what i've got on hand. think of it as an open-ended cookbook from a poor bastard just trying to make it through another day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - Good work, easy reading. I'm always looking for stretching out the food and budget. I work as a home health aid and most of our clients are on extreme low incomes and sites and ideas like yours are so appreciated. I'm getting on that pizza dough idea this week! I'd like to ask a question of you, my 84 year old mother is originally from Brooklyn and has been heart sick for it for decades. What part are you in? I think mom was from the Bushwick, near Williamsburg.

M. Alice said...

Wow, this is a really old entry and I don't know when this comment was posted...

I no longer live in Brooklyn, but I used to live in Park Slope, and then "Downtown Brooklyn", which is slightly closer to Williamsburg/Bushwick.

I don't update this blog too often any longer, but it comes in waves...